Monday 23 October 2017

Review: The Hunger Type Diet: Discover what drives your hunger, rebalance your hormones - and lose weight for good

The Hunger Type Diet: Discover what drives your hunger, rebalance your hormones - and lose weight for good The Hunger Type Diet: Discover what drives your hunger, rebalance your hormones - and lose weight for good by Lowri Turner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I appreciate that this book goes beyond telling you how to lose weight and examines the psychology of hunger a little bit more. It explains different types of hunger and allows you to stop and think about what it is that's driving your eating habits. It gives you the science of what foods are best to combat what feelings, and the why of this.

There's some great, simple recipes in the back (okay, confession - I can't cook to save my life but I think if I could cook, some of these meals would be delicious) and a meal plan to go with each 'type of hunger' result. It explains why you should eat the way it's telling you to eat.

For people that want to lose weight, one of the most damaging notions is the one that says people are overweight due to lack of willpower. This breaks it down and explains that hunger/bingeing is a physical response to a chemical imbalance which manifests in a variety of ways. If I had to side with a dieting book, it would be this one.

That being said, I'm fortunate enough to have broken the cycle of chronic dieting, so this has become almost redundant to me. The science is solid but I know more about the science of deprivation and psychological starvation to know that dieting is not the answer to losing weight.

I think (and this is me on my soap box, as opposed to contributing to my review of this book) the problem with our society is that we feel we need books like this. We need to appreciate that we are of no less value if our bodies to not conform to the ideals of others.

I'd recommend people use this to understand the science of hunger a little better, and as inspiration for meals and meal planning, but don't live your life bouncing from diet to diet. Find your own normal by listening to what your body wants.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment