Sunday 15 April 2018

Review: The Snows of Kilimanjaro

The Snows of Kilimanjaro The Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This story will be better if you know nothing about it to begin with.

Isn't that always the way with short stories?

It brilliantly sets the scene, and introduces the main character, and is rich in detail considering it's only 15 pages long.

Harry is kind of a jerk, though, I'm just saying.

It muses over memories of different times and places, and evokes images well with a few choice words and phrases. Some of it flew over my head a little, but I like to read fast; this is one to take your time with, nibble each sentence before digesting and moving on.

Some intriguing symbolism, too, which is always fun.

It's well written, but the nature of the story means it'll appeal far more to the intellectuals delving deeper than those taking the story at face value.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment