Sunday 14 October 2018

Review: Catwoman: Soulstealer

Catwoman: Soulstealer Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I LOVE ME SOME SUPERHEROES.

Or villains, in this case.

I've also read everything by Sarah J Maas since I first read Throne of Glass and fell in love. (Let's not get into my love/hate relationship with that series, though.)

So naturally, this was a must read for me. Thanks to my friend Kiera for encouraging me to read it sooner rather than later!

I've been a bit disappointed with the latest offerings from Maas so I was a little worried, but thankfully there was no noticeable lack of question marks in this one and it was a fresh and exciting story, with new - albeit iconic - characters.

As much as I love Marvel and its colourful offerings, Batman is probably my favourite superhero ever. (If you're thinking visually, think Christian Bale, NOT Ben Affleck. For the love of God, please not Ben Affleck.) Batman is a superhero who actually doesn't have any super powers. (Just a sh*t-ton of money.) But he goes out and toughens up and works hard to become unbeatable. He has purpose, and drive, and just does what needs to be done. SO BADASS. *swoon*

Selina Kyle speaks to me for the same reasons, although her motives are less pure. She's wicked, which is a lot of fun, but she has a good heart underneath it all.

This story from Maas ups the angst a little too much, taking out some of the fun (goodbye, 5th star), but Cat still has that ambition and dedication - with a side of B&E - that makes heroes so appealing to me. Add Ivy and Harley into the mix and you have a pretty hectic trio of ladies to deal with.

I liked that the three of them worked together, though it was hard for me to picture Selina as their leader. I've seen/read too many different incarnations of these characters and it was weird trying to bring them together and reconcile them with the partnership I was reading about. But once you get past the preconceived notions, it's a pretty fun romp.

Luke Fox ... mmmmhmmm. I mean, as Batwing he was kind of pathetic? Not actually winning much for the Good Guys? But guh, the ex-marine with PTSD ... that guy stole my heart, the precious little guy. But still gentlemanly and strong. I really liked him, and appreciated the split viewpoints. Sad his dad wasn't in it more, though, coz Morgan Freeman Lucius Fox is a Total Boss.

The League assassins were disappointingly weak, all things considered. I wanted more intense showdowns, a little more blood. Oh well. Can't have everything, I guess. *shrugs*

I feel like this might wander a little too far for the hardcore comic fans, but once I relaxed into the idea of it being something a little different, I really enjoyed it. There's plenty of recognisable characters, but Maas has put her own spin on things to craft something unique with our beloved characters.

Hardcore comic book fans: read at your own risk
Maas fans: definitely worth a read
Heroes/villains fans: YES
Batman fans: Absence just makes the heart grow fonder, right?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment