Tuesday 15 September 2020

Review: Spite

Spite Spite by Katy Bauer
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Another nothing book.

Plot: Narrator is jealous of successful people, decides she needs to become successful. Ropes in friend to make a film. Complains the whole time.

It's written like a diary, so the writing is choppy and short and mercifully jumps through the 'action' pretty quick. I say 'action' because most of it is just the narrator getting drunk and stoned and complaining. It's really dull and I skimmed most of it to be honest.

It just had nothing really driving it. I think it's supposed to be sassy and hilarious and we're supposed to laugh at how the narrator is such a ridiculously terrible human being, but it fell flat for me. I found her unbearable and as such it made it really painful to read her diary. She just does not care about anyone or anything but herself. How her husband continues to love her is the biggest mystery of this book.

Honestly, I just didn't care.

There are relationship dramas but the whole filmmaking process is the backbone of the story, meaning this story holds together like soggy cardboard. There are some interesting parts but on the whole it's essentially a pointless story.

It was so dull I can't even be bothered writing more about it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment