Thursday 2 September 2021

Review: Hard Rain

Hard Rain Hard Rain by Irma Venter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I finally had a good audio book experience! :D

The novel is told alternately in chunks by Alex and Rana - journalist and photo journalist, respectively - and sees their love story go awry when a body washes up and Rana is the number one suspect.

I actually really enjoyed the narration of this one, and I suspect it made me appreciate the story more. Even though both Alex and Rana seem like horrible people, I found the narration allowed me to become invested in their story while remaining detached from them as characters. I could just appreciate their story unfolding without getting too worked up about them being terrible people. Plus, they were just really pleasant voices to listen to. They told the story really well.

I really enjoyed how things built up around Rana - there was definitely something suss going on but it was hard to pinpoint what that was. I really enjoyed mulling over the mystery without lingering too much on trying to solve it.

Towards the end it did begin to feel a little drawn out, and it makes me super curious about this being a series. I do feel there was enough here that it could have been a standalone, but I'm also intrigued enough by these characters - and particularly Rana's past - to continue onto another adventure with them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment