Saturday 18 June 2022

Review: Stillness is the Key: An Ancient Strategy for Modern Life

Stillness is the Key: An Ancient Strategy for Modern Life Stillness is the Key: An Ancient Strategy for Modern Life by Ryan Holiday
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was exactly what I needed, when I needed it.

I really love Ryan Holiday's work. He uses examples to support all of his suggestions, and he's very honest about everything. Very down to earth, for someone explaining such zen concepts. He's not a wise Buddhist monk - he's just an ordinary dude who has been taught these things, practiced them, and then compiled historic evidence that supports such practices. His work is just easy to relate to.

This book, then, encourages us to find stillness. He makes the very valid point that, if any of us were told to sit for any length of time with no activity - no phone or tv or music to distract us, to just simply sit and be with our thoughts - many of us would find it incredibly uncomfortable. The notion of not doing something when we could be seems wild. Yet this stillness is where successful people go to work sh*t out. (I'm paraphrasing, of course.)

I really love that concept. I take public transport to work and if I ever forget my earphones I feel incredibly naked. You can bet I'll bury myself in a book or my phone to distract myself from the mundane act of being transported from one location to another. And reading this book was like being exposed - I actually love finding stillness when I actively choose to, yet how many opportunities to do so am I depriving myself of?

Anyhoo, the point is to review the book, not my life, so here's a pro: this book will make you review your life a little.

It doesn't criticise at all, which I find really important in self-help books. It just gently points out all the things we are ALL guilty of, and suggests alternatives that may help us lead more fulfilling lives.

It takes a very realistic approach, too: there is no suggestion of meditating for hours at a time, or locking yourself in isolation. There are some very practical tips on how you can simply insert a little more stillness into your life, and learn to appreciate the sensation of exploring your own mind.

As mentioned, this book found its way into my hands at a time when I desperately needed it. It forced me to see how much attention and energy I was giving to things that didn't matter, and how much peace I was depriving myself of. For that alone I'm grateful to have read this book.

If you are someone who often finds yourself stressed, overworked, overstimulated, or even just feeling far busier than you'd like to, this is a brilliant book for you. If you're keen to learn how to wean yourself off technology a little, this will provide some helpful ideas to support you.

Even if you are just someone looking for a way to improve your life in the simplest of ways, this book is for you.

I believe everyone needs to nurture a little more stillness in their lives, and so I highly recommend this book to all.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment