Thursday 11 August 2022

Review: Storm Front

Storm Front Storm Front by Jim Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I put this off for ages because my copy is a battered second-hand that looks like crap and so I underestimated it, and WOW, what a funny coincidence because the same could be said for our hero who seems to look like crap 99% of the time but turned out to be kind of a badass.

So in summary: this book was fkn GREAT!

So much fun! Gahhhh I forgot how much I enjoyed urban fantasy with mystery! Dresden is a great hero in that he gets his ass kicked constantly but he's a low-key super-wizard with crazy power and an attitude that sees him determined to only use his power for good.

He has the weird connections that make the story interesting, and some equally interesting opponents. There is the typical abundance of beautiful women that all want to flirt with our hopeless, washed up hero, but I found they weren't so overdone that I was bothered by it. I actually really liked Murphy, and the way their relationship was written, and the other girls had enough individual personality that I didn't mind them so much.

I loved the way magic was used but not taken for granted, nor ridiculously powerful. Dresden is such a gritty character that half the time you forget he can actually do magic. It makes for quite a riveting story, because can never predict what he'll do.

Added to the fantastic characters and magic system is the brilliance of the mystery - not too gory, but disturbing enough to leave a mark and make you want to solve the crime as badly as our hero.

I was absolutely hooked from the start and loved it all the way through. A highly addictive read and one that has me keen to carry on with this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment