Friday 23 September 2022

Review: Cobalt Blue

Cobalt Blue Cobalt Blue by Matthew Reilly
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holy crap that was EPIC.

GIVE ME MORE (please).

This ridiculously fun novella was all kinds of crazy.

It's The Boys meets Captain America with no punches pulled - the action is hectic and non-stop, and the good guys just cannot catch a break. It's a steady rise of stakes that will have you on the edge of your seat wondering how this could possibly end well.

I'm a massive fan of Matthew Reilly's work because, even though it's often predictable, it delivers action I can really see in my mind. I think sometimes the predictability element helps in sucking me in - even if I think I know what's going to happen, it's still a lot of fun to watch it play out.

Reilly has made no secret of his film-making aspirations (and indeed produced his first, Interceptor, which was released earlier this year) and I believe it's that love of film that helps bring his stories to life. This book was a superhero movie I was able to watch quite vividly in my head. There's no time wasted on insignificant details, but there's somehow still enough description that we can easily find ourselves within the pages of the story.

I blitzed through this book and I'm definitely keen to read more from this world of megalomaniac supes. It was dark, brutal and fast, and left me craving more.

Don't go into this looking for anything too genius, but if you're keen for a damn good time that keeps you hooked, this ought to be a fun few hours.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment