Monday 28 November 2022

Review: Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hooked me with the prologue and kept me hanging on the entire time. What a ride.

This is an epic sci-fi that is character driven, and I honestly enjoyed every moment. The story splits between the views of Holden and Miller - Holden, who leads the crew that investigates a distress call from an abandoned ship; Miller, the weary detective tasked with locating a missing heiress; in a world that is on the brink of war. Things are going to get very messy.

So many moments of this story took me by surprise. I was not expecting so many twists! The writing was strong and there was an excellent mix of science, character development, and story. It was one of those books I could just lose myself in and forget I was reading. Lots of fun.

The story is rather epic, and the politics of it was spelled out for me when I needed it, which was much appreciated. I never felt like I was in over my head, even when the technology was being described in detail. Just excellent writing, to be honest.

I needed this book more than I realised - it was fun, addictive, wild, and sucked me in from the first few pages. Definitely keen to see where this series goes!

Highly recommend for those interested in sci-fi, and this is even a decent one to start with if you're new to the genre. There's not too much to overwhelm, and there are fantastic characters to cling to as you go along. A great read all round.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment