Tuesday 21 February 2023

Review: One Hundred Names

One Hundred Names One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was honestly expecting to skim my way through this one then discard it like a used tissue but I actually kinda loved it?!

Guess sometimes I'm just in the right mood for a chick flick.

The story follows Kitty, a disgraced journalist looking to write the story her recently deceased editor and friend didn't get the chance to write. However, all Kitty has to work with is a list of 100 names.

So the detective work begins, and we start to unravel the stories of six individuals. I think it's a bit cheeky for a story about 100 names to focus on only a handful of them, but I did really enjoy getting to know the Six.

There's a hint of mystery in what links all these seemingly random people, and I did have fun trying to puzzle it out myself, even though I knew it was bound to give us the moral of the story. They were an odd assortment, and they will each tug on your heart for their own reasons.

Kitty's a bit of a mess, but I'm glad she was honest about it. Things don't go well for her at all yet she still seems to be quite a positive sort of person at heart and I think that's a big part of why I liked this story. She's not obnoxious or prying, and while she did frustrate me at the start I did see growth and by the end of the story I quite liked her.

The tale wanders all over Ireland and I was geographically at a loss but also super grateful we didn't have to deal with Irish accents within the writing. Kate Forsyth did it once and I've never forgiven her, and dread reading anything Irish for this exact reason. So thank you, Cecelia Ahern, for writing words properly.

In general, the Feel Good Vibes of this story are high. It's heart warming and lovey-dovey and there are meaningful relationships that aren't just about hooking up but there's plenty of that, too. I'm not a fan of romance in general, but it didn't grate too much til the end for me. So chick lit lovers should lap this one up. It's a comfort read, and will leave you with an appreciation for the stories of strangers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment