Sunday 24 June 2018

Review: Winterwood

Winterwood Winterwood by Patrick McCabe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What the heckin jeezuz did I just read???

Wow.

This book is so deeply disturbing and confusing and dark and creepy and ... dear lord, what a mess.

The prose is disjointed and the narrator is completely unreliable, which means you have to put most of the story together yourself. I enjoyed that aspect of it, but it also made it incredibly confusing and leaves a bit of a mystery to it, because how much have you figured out correctly and how much is just your own imagination?

It's so incredibly messed up, and quite clearly Red has some serious issues. This dude is what I like to refer to as a PROPER PSYCHO. It makes his story fascinating and horrifying and you never know where he's going with it. It jumps about and his feelings are constantly changing which makes the book brilliantly written but the story utterly disturbing.

This was one of those confounding novels where I immensely enjoyed feeling completely repulsed by what I was reading.

I can't say much more. The takeaway is that it's a well-written, seriously disturbing book and you should definitely read it, particularly if you enjoy feeling uncomfortable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment