Wednesday 18 December 2019

Review: The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a fantastic, fresh, modern take on the trials of the gods, featuring a sassy teen on his own quest.

What's not to love?

Percy's a troubled teen, so I was attached pretty early on. His dedication to his mum and his friends is admirable, but he's still not afraid to stand up to bullies.

Then he's thrown into this world of gods and monsters and honestly, he adjusts pretty well. So then we're just left with the action of his quest and the puzzle of what has caused all the drama.

Confession: I saw the movie first. I actually really enjoyed it. As is common, the book was much richer in detail, and while the movie spoiled a few twists for me there was a decent diversion that I normally would have seen coming but didn't because it wasn't in the movie.

I found I was able to picture the characters and monsters really well, but there was still plenty that didn't make the visual cut that I still really envisioned.

The action is non-stop and a lot of fun, and the rag-tag team of heroes works well together. Plus there's the added bonus of Greek myths reworked which makes things really fascinating.

I found it to be more detailed than I was expecting of a middle-grade book and I'm very much looking forward to continuing the series!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment