Monday 18 September 2023

Review: The Wolf Den

The Wolf Den The Wolf Den by Elodie Harper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fantastic read!

There was actually such a wonderful lack of smut for a book set in a brothel. I appreciated that so much!

The story follows Amara, a brothel slave who works for Felix. She and her fellow whores work for the Wolf Den, with their sole role being the pleasing of men. However Amara wasn't always a slave, and she'll do whatever it takes to win her freedom back.

I really, really loved Amara's character. She does some morally questionable things that really drive home that she will honestly do WHATEVER IT TAKES and I think it was really important to the story. She's a fierce heroine, yet she's still loyal to her friends. She fights, but she makes smart calls, too. There's more to her than just whoring, but that's also a huge part of who she is.

The themes are quite dark, with slavery and prostitution obviously sitting at the forefront. Agency and self-worth, basic human rights. It was quite fascinating to me to read all about it, and it was interesting to see how all the different men Amara interacted with treated her and the other working girls.

There was certainly a lot in this story to unpack, but the writing helped everything flow so well, dancing around different ideas at different times. I found it to be an easy, addictive read and could easily have read it all in one sitting if I'd had the time.

An excellent read, and I'll definitely read the next one. Thanks Juliette for the recommendation!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment