Thursday 26 September 2024

Review: The Dream Haunters: A Metaphysical Mystery of Magick

The Dream Haunters: A Metaphysical Mystery of Magick The Dream Haunters: A Metaphysical Mystery of Magick by Megan Mary
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Narrated by Pearl Hewitt
Presented by Inner Realms Publishing


A cosy fantasy perfect for Halloween season.

This was a Listen Now on NetGalley and I needed something to listen to, so this ticked the box.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't cosy fantasy! The story follows Hannah, who heads to Maple Hollow after the mysterious disappearance of her Aunt Jewelia (and I'm glad I was listening, because the spelling of that name alone would have done me in - yikes!)

The atmosphere is perfectly Halloween-y, with dark and stormy nights, pumpkins and cats. Hannah is a likeable enough protagonist - very wholesome and sweet. She introduces herself to everyone in the town as she meets them, and quickly becomes a friend to several. Meanwhile, she sets about trying to learn more about the town's history, in order to solve the mystery of her Aunt's disappearance.

I liked the narrator, and her voice enhanced the vibe of the story. On paper, this would likely have disappointed through lack of excitement, but with this narrator it was like I got exactly what I was supposed to out of it. Low stakes and easy clues leading to a simple resolution.

Admittedly, the easy nature of the story meant I wasn't 100% tuned in, 100% of the time. I also had to listen at 2x speed so that I didn't doze off. Still, it was easy enough to follow and I didn't seem to miss much.

Overall, it was an easy listen that was a pleasant way to kill some time. I'd recommend it for fans of cosy mysteries - particularly those who like a sprinkling of fantasy and a dash of Halloween.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment