Season of Fear by Emily CooperMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Yes I rather enjoyed this one!
A dark fantasy inspired by Bavarian folklore, the story sees fearless Ilse journeying into the Hexenwald to find her fear, in order to slake the thirst of the Saint of Fear and, in doing so, save her sister, Thea.
Fascinating premise, and a fresh folk tale unlike others I've read. Ilse is an easy protagonist to like, despite her being ostracised by her village - her fearlessness makes her an outcast to them, but more appealing to us.
The concept of having no fear was really interesting to me, and I enjoyed reading about how she experienced situations that would cause most people fear. She still feels deep emotions, but more often its anger.
It did start to feel a little long towards the end, and I was mystified by the days spent in between events sometimes, as the urgency I felt wasn't matched by Ilse's actions. It did drag a little at these times so it did end up feeling a little long to me. Thankfully, though, it seemed to tidy up every loose thread.
There is of course a love story, too, but it's sweet and not explicit so I didn't mind it.
A solid dark fantasy with some fun moments and surprises. A fun story I highly recommend giving a go.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment