Saturday 27 January 2018

Review: The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Man, this is such a random, totally bizarre series.

The ending of book one left a lot of questions (be wary of spoilers for book one, I'll only censor this book's spoilers) and I can't say this book really answered any of them.

I also just ... feel ... like ... it doesn't make sense?

I honestly can't seem to wrap my head around why this series is so frustrating, but I'm gonna try!

Part of it, I think, is because it's fantasy playing at being contemporary, and it just doesn't mesh right.

For example:
I still have issues with these super popular, typical rich-snob-type characters chasing magic and still being considered super popular. I mean, I kinda get it, coz I'm pretty in love with Gansey myself, but how does he retain alpha-male-of-the-town status when he spends so much time doing weird supernatural stuff? And why is no one else outside their group ever mentioned unless it's crucial to the plot? Also, what the heck was everyone at school thinking after the fallout with the teacher from the first book? (And did that actually get resolved then and there because I have no memory of it but grudgingly admit I have an awful memory)

I get really confused about their actual lives because it seems like it jumps all over the place to further the story but we never really get an idea about 'a day in the life of ...' because their lives don't exist unless it's a plot device. Blue worked, like, ONE shift in this book. Of course she's poor. Adam also has a lot of spare time for a guy who works three jobs and has a GIANT EGO to support.

There's also way too many people privy to their world of the supernatural. It's just too drastic a mix of normal and definitely-NOT-normal for it to make sense. (view spoiler)

Guh, all this negativity is gonna give people the idea that I didn't like it. This would be a tragically false idea.

I actually enjoyed reading this as much as the first and it's basically because I have a book-crush on Gansey and I'm totally rooting for him and Blue to hook up. The magic stuff is weird but the Gansey-and-Blue stuff has me sighing like a schoolgirl getting a wink from that boy. Gansey is just such a beautifully complex character! He's also, um, A GENTLEMAN (ALL OTHER YA PLEASE TAKE NOTE) and he treats people with respect and compassion, while also giving them a bit of a ribbing and being charmingly cheeky. Plus he's got the do-anything-for-his-friends attitude that makes all the ladies (and some of the fellas) swoon. He is pretty much my reason for continuing with this series.

Blue is no Gansey but I like her feistiness and she's still pretty fun, and I kinda like her feminist rants although I do cringe sometimes. (view spoiler) I do get frustrated when she acts like a child, though! I mean, she's 16 or 17, right? Not actually 12?? (view spoiler)

Noah was ... Noah. Ehhhh. He's cute and sweet but he kinda takes a back seat in this one.

Up front is Ronan, the bad boy that everyone seems to love but I kinda barely tolerate. I like him okay, but I don't understand why everyone is okay with him acting like a jerk and treating them like crap. It's okay to pass off his bad attitude as 'that's how he shows emotions' but, mate, if you are acting like a jerk and talking like a jerk and doing jerk things then you're probably A JERK. I like his little soft spot for animals, though. I just get frustrated because he's such a contrary character and it's not believable to me. I think there's some kind of bridge between his extreme personalities that hasn't been properly written. (view spoiler)

Ahhhhhh Adam.

Now this kid is just a sad case. I feel for him, I get his backstory, and I understand, but MAN is he a tragic little guy. His damn pride is actually painful and his moping is a killer. I get so frustrated with him because he has such an incredible friend in Gansey and he just treats him horribly. I get the whole not wanting to be a charity case thing but he's so damn arrogant about it! Chill, mate! Trust your friends! Be a part of the crew, instead of pitying yourself for being on the outside!

...wow. I'm a horrible person.

I just get so mad that he can't see how much these kids care about his stupid ass. I hope he finds a way to heal in the next book.

Because, YES, OBVIOUSLY I now have to go buy a copy of the next book.

Now here's some spoilers I wanna discuss.

(view spoiler)

It's such a messy series with things happening all over the place but it's also a bit of a guilty pleasure because as terrible as I believe it to be I'm actually kind of enjoying it. These raven boys are such a great cast of characters, even if they are poorly written in places. Gansey gets a full five stars, though. Did I mention I love that kid?

I wonder if the next one will be enough to cement my loyalty??


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment