Monday 15 January 2018

Review: The Sandman

The Sandman The Sandman by E.T.A. Hoffmann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

... what did I just read?!

This is so many kinds of disturbing that nightmares are inevitable. How ironic.

I freaking loved it, by the way.

For a short story, there's several layers of creepy, and there's no black and white so part of its genius is in how many questions you're left with at the end.

I want to know MORE.

I mean, surely we've all heard of The Sandman, right? The creep who throws dust in children's faces to get them to sleep?

Well,this delightful little short story, along with my fascination with myths and legends, got me Googling.

Turns out one of the earlier German interpretations of this fellow had him torturing and mutilating the kids that fought his magic sleep dust. Charming fellow. Apparently, that was inspirational stuff for Hoffman, who turned this brute into the horrifying, eye-stealing monster described in this novel.

Anyhoo, the basic notion of the legend is that it represents how parents feel about their kids. I think there's a similar idea explored in the literary genius that is Go The F**K To Sleep.

All that's fun and games, but the titular Sandman has overall a rather brief appearance, and is more of a symbol than a character. This story has way more horror beyond our sadistic, nocturnal friend.

So basically if you love horror, read it. If you love untangling metaphors and symbols, read it. If you love myths and legends ... this is but a small glimpse. If you love short stories that deliver chills almost immediately, read it. If you want to sleep an undisturbed sleep ... read at your own risk.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment