Wednesday 22 August 2018

Review: Eleanor's Secret

Eleanor's Secret Eleanor's Secret by Caroline Beecham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Finally manage to find a war book that wasn't a complete drainer!

This actually kept me pretty entertained. It was blessedly light on all the horrors-of-war details and focused more on the art and artists, which I found quite interesting. It's a new angle, thus quite refreshing.

The split views between the 1940s and 2010 also allow for variation and make things a bit more interesting, particularly as the mystery surrounding Jack's disappearance grows deeper and more intriguing. I was very curious about what happened to him, and was praying for a happy ending!

On that note, I feel like the conclusion fizzled a bit. There was the potential for big dramatic impact but it was a lost opportunity. I don't think I felt quite the desired effect.

It was an entertaining story pleasantly divided between Eleanor's past and Kathryn's present. It tackles a unique angle which makes this instantly more entertaining than so many other war books out there, and the characters were likable enough to inspire a little empathy.

Highly recommend for those who love war-era historical fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment