Thursday 1 November 2018

Review: Ace of Shades

Ace of Shades Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

MUST HAVE NEXT BOOK ASAP.

In short: Lady and the Tramp meets Six of Crows.

Lady: Enne; prim and proper and easily corruptible more fight than you'd expect. She's come to the City of Sin to find her missing mother.

Tramp: Levi; conman and street lord with a heart of gold massive debt to pay off.

He sees Enne as his ticket to freedom; she sees Levi as the only one who can help her find her mother.

I liked the pair together. I liked that they were slow to get along, and had plenty of insults to throw at one another. I liked that Enne kept her prim and proper ways, even when she began to do less prim and proper things. She's still a lady, duh.

Levi was one of the most pathetic street lords I've ever met in a book but I kinda loved him more for it? He actually seems human and I really enjoyed that.

It does has a similar Six of Crows vibe, but where SoC was super clever with its plotting and sass, this one dialed back the action and allows the reader to understand that these characters are actually human. They mess up, and they hurt, and sometimes they cry, too. Yes, they seem badass, but you never know someone's real story. I liked that this one kind of went a bit deeper. Made you think about the lives that led these two kids to here.

That being said, it meant I kinda missed the Squad Sass. The nice mix of competing personalities that always leads to crazy shenanigans. This one is very Enne-and-Levi. I'm hoping the second book gathers a bit more of a crew.

It had some really fun moments and I loved the magic/powers/gifts stuff. It's quite clever and keeps things interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that. Plus, I love Levi's gift. Super jealous, tbh.

Honestly, if you want to compare it to the cleverness and sass that was SoC, you'll probably be disappointed, but if you want a similar kinda frolic that goes a lot deeper but still has fun dark themes, I highly recommend this one. I was expecting it to be mediocre and was pleasantly surprised.

And I really need to get my hands on the next one. I NEED MORE.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment