Monday 31 December 2018

Review: Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a cute but strange story that is probably more important to American readers than this ignorant Aussie.

I've heard the name Rip Van Winkle but knew nothing about the story, so this was an interesting experience for me. I loved the description of this old guy who is loved by everyone except his overbearing wife, and how he spends his idle days.

It must be said though: I'm not entirely sure this story would be nearly as entertaining without the illustrations. I read this version online and I'd be curious to see the pictures on the page. I'm pretty sure I'd be staring at them for a while. They're so detailed and, honestly, kinda creepy. But it really encourages the imagination, which I loved.

I don't understand the point/subtext of the story, that I'm certain has something to do with the independence of the USA, but on its own its an interesting, whimsical sort of story that's written well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment