Wednesday 2 January 2019

Review: The Cabin at the End of the World

The Cabin at the End of the World The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't even know what I just read but I LOVED IT.

This is more suspense/thriller than outright horror but it is 100% DISTURBING. I spent the entire novel trying to figure out what was going on and just had to let it all unfold in front of me. No guessing was ever going to help with this story.

I don't want to talk too much about the plot as part of the fun comes from having no clue what's happening, or why, but I did really enjoy the - excuse my language - absolute mindfuck of trying to work out if this was going to shift into a supernatural horror or if everyone was just insane.

Brilliant characters, and the way they were written makes this story so much more disturbing. I will admit, the 'what would I do?' scenarios playing in my head were not at all comforting. 99% certain I'd end up dead. I am not cut out to be a character in a horror story. These guys, though ... very real. I loved that.

The relationship between Andrew and Eric is pretty great, too. I like that it discusses the homophobia etc but also doesn't try to ram down your throat that GAY IS OKAY. It's more about how they relate to one another, and how that impacts their behaviour in this situation. I thought it was written pretty impressively. Even if I never entirely warmed to Andrew. He was a bit too quick to anger for my liking.

I wonder how the devout will receive this book, as there's plenty of biblical implications and it certainly gets the reader contemplating faith. Personally, I really enjoyed the questioning aspect, and how the book kind of allows you to form your own opinions as you go along. Powerful stuff.

Overall, this was unlike any horror/thriller I've read before and I really enjoyed the wild ride it took me on. Devoured it in two days so my hands will be greedily searching for the next Paul Tremblay book I can get my hands on!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment