Wednesday 1 July 2020

Review: Bitten

Bitten Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In describing this book, I would first and foremost like to use the words carnage, mayhem and kinky.

Normally the kinky stuff really grates for me but for some reason the way it was written, and the story overall, made it a non-issue for me here. The whole, 'primal instinct' thing totally worked.

So here we have: Elena, reluctant werewolf, who just wants to live a normal life. Only of course her pack can't let her go and when trouble calls them out she's by their side and doing wolfish things in no time.

I was a little bothered by them calling themselves werewolves when they seemed more to be shapeshifters, but then the carnage started and I was totally okay with it.

So, it's kinda like ... I went into this book a little sceptical, and the slowish start had me fully expecting to be trashing it by the end, but ... here it is ... I kinda fking loved it. *shrugs*

I mean, there were some things that were a bit ehhh, like poor old Phillip who was always going to get the raw end of the deal, but the mayhem totally won me over. Nothing soothes my soul more than blood and guts and absolute chaos. I also took to the characters unexpectedly fast. (view spoiler) They were such a fun bunch. I thought I would hate the predictable relationship between Elena and Clay but them hating on each other all the time was actually a lot of fun.

I also really loved that Elena was stubborn and did stupid things and thought stupid thoughts but you could kinda see that, even though it was told in first person. There is some sweet sarcasm that was dished out in just the right dose, meaning I actually kinda liked her sass.

Honestly, everything I thought I would hate about this book I ended up loving so I can make no serious complaints. Some of it was predictable but there was plenty I didn't see coming and the carnage and mayhem was exactly what I wanted out of a werewolf novel. I'm so glad it wasn't all about naked frolicking and bestiality.

I'd probably rate it R for the kiddies, though. This is no sweet and tame monster romance, my friends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment