Wednesday 15 July 2020

Review: The City of Brass

The City of Brass The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was everything I wanted it to be and MORE.

It's magical and whimsical, rich with detail and lore and it's just so beautifully written. The details are exquisite but they never overwhelm the story.

Then the story itself is so completely unpredictable. I had so much fun with it! The djinn tribes took a bit for me to wrap my head around but I just loved reading about all of these characters. There was so much to love, and the characters are so complex I couldn't pick a favourite. They all have such depth and fascinating characteristics.

The politics again were a bit to grasp, but it never interfered with my enjoyment of the story. This was a world I found myself fully immersed in, and I loved the whole thing. It certainly kept me on edge!

Dara was an instant hit, but Ali took a little warming up to. I found my feelings mirrored Nahri's a bit when it came to those two! But I love that she's an independent female who won't let anyone take advantage of her or tell her what to do. She's been her own person all this time and she stays true to herself. It warmed my heart.

I don't want to go on about it too much right now because the magic of it is still so fresh to me, but I really loved it. It made all of my Aladdin wishes come true and gave me a depth of feeling I did not expect. My head is still stuck there, which is why this is such a patchy review!

If you're into fantasy and interested in an Arabian twist, you have to read this. It's absolutely exquisite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment