Friday 17 December 2021

Review: Mark of Fire

Mark of Fire Mark of Fire by Richard Phillips
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I would probably have loved this if the narrator was better.

As it was, still a solid, enjoyable fantasy with some fun characters.

I enjoyed the magic system, even though I definitely zoned out through some important bits. Did I mention the narration is pretty terrible? Inflections in all the wrong places and she can make battle scenes sound like just another dull day. So I would kinda zone out and then hear something important and be like, 'wait, what?!' and then have to rewind. So that was frustrating. This story definitely deserved a more excited narrator.

I really liked the characters, and may even go back and just read the e-book so I can get to know them better. I really liked Ty and that lil band of three so I want to go back and properly appreciate their adventures.

The names put me off to start with because you've got all these cool, fantasy-esque names and then the main heroine is named Carol?! But then I discovered Carol is the author's wife's name and I can't argue with that. There's enough creativity elsewhere for me to overlook something as little as a name or two.

The villain seems like a straight up a-hole so he made things fun!

Honestly, I really did zone out for a fair bit of the story but it was way more entertaining than I expected it to be so I'll probably go back and re-read then continue on with the series.

Highly recommend for fantasy lovers, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T LISTEN TO THE AUDIO.

Sorry to the narrator.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment