Friday 17 March 2023

Review: Revival

Revival Revival by Stephen King
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Disappointingly dull, I'm afraid.

This is the most disappointing King book I've read so far. The first 100-odd pages had me entertained, but then it just drifted into dull and I couldn't finish it fast enough. There was so very little to invest in.

The story is Jamie Morton's, and begins when he's six years old and meets Charles Jacobs for the first time. The two have intertwined destinies, and none of it is too pretty. Jacobs is obsessed with electricity, Jamie is a muso nomad, and I am already bored.

There was so little point to this story. Jacobs goes on the carny circuit with his electrical experimentation, and Jamie gets hooked on drugs. Even the experiments just did nothing for me. There are some troubling visions and after effects, but for the most part there was very little horror to this story. (view spoiler)

King writes well, so the pace travels well enough and you do get to know the characters quite well. But because this is a book called Revival, it naturally is balanced by a LOT of deaths. People around Jamie are just ridiculously unlucky for some plot-convenient reason. Hmm. This book really just reeks of, 'my publishers needed another book from me and this is the best I could do with the time they gave me.'

There was just nothing about this story that I really cared for. It raises some interesting questions about death and the like but nothing new that hasn't been raised before. Plus, King just loves to sh*t all over religion, and while I'm not religious myself I'm honestly finding it a bit old.

Definitely not his best work, and a bit of a chore to get through by the end. Pet Sematary did it better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment