Friday 20 October 2023

Review: After the Forest

After the Forest After the Forest by Kell Woods
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An excellent debut from this Aussie author, full of forest friends, magic, witches, and gingerbread.

I enjoyed the mix of old and new with this one. There are some familiar themes with new twists and the whole thing felt very dark and foreboding. Really enjoying sinking into it.

Some of the characters were a bit cliche - like beat down Greta and her gambling brother - but they had enough spirit of their own to overcome the sameness and carve a story of their own. Greta was a fierce spirit and I liked that she kicked back a bit.

There were a lot of different ideas here so it did seem to go for a long time, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I was always entertained.

For a debut, this was a fun read and a great twisted fairy tale. I'll look for more by this author.

With thanks to the publisher for a copy

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment