Sunday 22 October 2023

Review: Tomie

Tomie Tomie by Junji Ito
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my first experience of Junji Ito's work and it was as weird and wonderful as everyone suggested.

Creepy and awful, Tomie likes to inspire love in men and jealousy in women, and it often ends with her being chopped up and/or murdered in other fantastically gory ways, only for her to regenerate from her wounds.

Some of the chapters connect, others stand on their own, but all have the same kinda vibe.

Tomie's an awful character, and this collection truly inspires sympathy and pity for those unfortunate to come across her.

Some of the artwork is fantastic; some is lost in the amount of black-and-white gore splattered on the page. Overall, there's an eerie quality to it all that drives the story onwards.

I liked it a lot, but don't think I could read this level of torment again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment