Sunday 16 February 2020

Dymocks 2020 Challenge First Reads

    One of the best parts of doing prompt challenges is finding books that fit! I've still got a few gaps to fill, and this list is subject to change, but I'm pretty happy with the books I've set myself for this one.

      My first read from the list was The Girl Who Reads on the Métro by Christine Feret-Fleury. This was a Book about books that was a little too strange for my tastes. It does include a reading list, though, which is pretty handy!


      Second, I tackled the Indigenous Author prompt with Catching Teller Crow by brother and sister duo, Ambelin and Ezekiel Kwaymullina. This was a mystery set in a small Australian town and told by a dead girl so it definitely held my interest. 



      The Mystery/Thriller prompt was tricky, because I do enjoy this genre, so I went with an Australian author I'd never read before. One Last Child by Anni Taylor is the first in a new crime series set in the Blue Mountains, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

      Most recently, I finished A Sceptic's Search for Meaning by Australian journalist Mike Willesee which is a Memoir that absolutely blew me away. It raises some really fascinating questions and is my first five star read of the challenge.



      So four books down, 22 to go!

      Here's the list again, with links to my reviews so far.
      • Australian Author: Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte (AA)
      • Indigenous Author: Catching Teller Crow by Ambelin & Ezekiel Kwaymullina (AA) Review Here
      • From Top 101: TBA
      • Kid's Top 51: TBA
      • Dymocks 'Book of the Month': TBA
      • Re-read favourite book of all time: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
      • Friend's recommendation: Mao's Last Dancer by Cunxin Li (AA)
      • Featuring favourite country (France): Josephine's Garden by Stephanie Parkyn
      • From TBR pile: North Star Guide Me Home by Jo Spurrier (AA)
      • Award winner: Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (AA)
      • Mystery/Thriller: One Last Child by Anni Taylor (AA) Review Here
      • Memoir: A Sceptic's Search for Meaning by Mike Willesee (AA) Review Here
      • Outside usual genre: Entranced by Nora Roberts
      • Short stories: Saga Land by Richard Fidler & Kari Gislason (AA)
      • Self Help/Motivation: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
      • Fairytale/Fable adaptation: Beauty in Thorns by Kate Forsyth (AA)
      • Book 1 in Fantasy series: Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan
      • Teaches something new: The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
      • Adapted to film/TV series: You by Caroline Kepnes
      • Red cover: Cherry Pie by Leigh Redhead (AA)
      • Colour in title: Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel
      • Read in a day: Weapon by Lynette Noni (AA)
      • About books: The Girl Who Reads on the Metro by Christine Feret-Fleury Review Here
      • Makes me laugh: Challenge Accepted by Celeste Barber (AA)
      • Published this year: Aurora Burning by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (AA)
      • Said I've read but haven't: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
      Happy reading!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment