Wednesday 19 February 2020

Review: Weapon

Weapon Weapon by Lynette Noni
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well this is definitely going to be too hard to write a normal, coherent review for.

WARNING: This review may contain spoilers for the first book in the series

Things I liked:
✓ The pace
✓ The action
✓ The location(s)
✓ The DRAMA
So. Many. Secrets.
✓ Riley
✓ Memory travel
✓ All these fun abilities weeeeeee

Things I didn't like:
✘ Zombie Ward
✘ Kael being a jerk
✘ Arryn
✘ Lack of Enzo
✘ Alyssa being oblivious
✘ Like ... really oblivious
✘ So many good characters, so little page time
✘ But hey look who got a spine and also SO BOSSY in the second book *eyeroll*

So basically this was an insanely addictive read even if I could see things coming that Alyssa could not. Also the love triangle between her, Kael and Ward needed some work because Kael was clearly more entertaining but could she see that? No. Sigh.

There really were so many amazing characters that I just didn't get the chance to know. Plus the old friends?? I mean, poor ol' Slasher and Sneak were zombiefied last we saw but they barely rate a mention here? Also personally offended by the lack of Enzo. He made the first book so much fun and there just was not enough sass with him hiding out of sight for so much of this book.

Lyss was such a great character in the first book because she was so broken but now all of a sudden she's this badass, all-powerful warrior who is bossing everyone around and the 180 made me dizzy. Her and Cami entirely switched places and it didn't sit right with me. Cami was the hero of the last book and she didn't get nearly enough credit in this one because she was too busy being Lyss's lap dog. Plus ... ALYSSA. HELLO. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE HUMMUS GIRLFRIEND. Honestly could she be any more self-absorbed? She coulda been staring at a billboard that said 'OBVIOUS SIGN HERE' with an arrow and she wouldn't have noticed because she was too busy worrying about the crushing weight of responsibility that comes with her all-powerful genie Speaker abilities.

But GOD was it addictive. There was so much going on . I mean, it's a lengthy book but there is never a dull moment. There are so many secrets and reveals that my head was spinning by the end of it.

Smith was a hidden gem, as was Riley. OMG RILEY. MY HEART. TAKE IT.

Did I love reading this book? Hell yes. Did I enjoy the story as much as the first one? No, probably not. Am I happy with the way it ended? In general, yes, but in detail, no. Do I think this is another amazing cast of characters for me to fall in love with? Of course.

Like I said, coherent thoughts are lacking.

Great read, though. Really great.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment