Monday 9 March 2020

Review: Gemina

Gemina Gemina by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ohhhhh. NOW I get all the 'Lollipop Song' references.

Also, this one was so much better than the first book.

My biggest criticism of this book is the parts with black on black text. I literally needed a torch to read them and it was a pain in the arse. Other than that, this was some gooooood times.

Plot:
Boy: Nik
Girl: Hanna
Bad guy: Falk
Problem: Die Hard-style takeover as Falk and team are on a mission to eliminate evidence of everything that was botched in Book 1. Also there are alien things. And a song. About Lollipops. (If you know, you know.)

So here is one of my favourite action movies of all time brought to life on a space station in the future and featuring a badass female lead who excels at martial arts. It's like this book was written for me. I loved it. The plot is so dynamic and problems constantly arising to keep things interesting and the banter is still strong, despite this being once again in the format of briefing notes. I definitely feel that it was easier to get to know the characters in this one and I loved them all.

There's a lot going on and the format has us jumping around a lot, which keeps up the entertainment factor. Plus the fact that we're reading 'briefing notes' makes you kind of want to second guess everything. (And yes, I did notice some familiar names on those pages. I appreciate.)

I loved the variety and the drama and the sass and - yes, I'm a psychopath, I know - the VIOLENT DEATHS that were always going to occur with this many characters. So many unexpected moments. I dig it. I dig it a lot.

To sum up, way more impressed with this book vs book 1 and extra keen for the grand finale.

You bet your wormhole I wanna know how it ends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment