Tuesday 14 February 2023

Review: Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Afterworlds

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Afterworlds Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Afterworlds by Becky Cloonan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed how this used a different art style for each realm. It made things so much more interesting!

I haven't read the Dark Knights Metal series yet (I seem to work my way backwards for some reason), but this was an easy jumping on point - basically Wonder Woman is supposed to be in Olympia after her death but instead ends up in Asgard, where things seem to be going awry.

For me, it was refreshing to jump into a completely new tale. This takes WW out of the usual Earth so we get a contained story where there's no need to have years worth of cross-overs to keep track of for this to make sense. So as a jumping on point, this worked really well. I am grateful.

As mentioned, I really enjoyed the artwork. Not all the styles were quite to my taste, but overall I enjoyed the way they suited the different worlds. I particularly enjoyed the costume changes. It just seemed like this story would have been a lot of fun to plan out.

The story itself wasn't particularly strong, and I wasn't really convinced by the bad guy. It could have been far more chaotic - I never really felt the threat. That was a little disappointing, as the overall idea was really cool and with the right kind of villain this could really have blown me away.

The pacing was a little off, with long adventures in the worlds becoming a brief appearance by the end. I did really enjoy the first story arc in Asgard, but the rest of the adventures certainly mellowed a lot.

A fun adventure, though the artwork is the real selling point here. Still, a decent place to start if you're a bit of a newbie like me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment