Tuesday 11 June 2024

Review: The Arsenic Eater's Wife

The Arsenic Eater's Wife The Arsenic Eater's Wife by Tonya Mitchell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Narrated by Penelope Rawlins
Presented by Dreamscape Media


A slow start for me but it did finally hook my interest.

Wasn't a huge fan of the narrator - her voice was quite soft making it hard to hear at times, even at a higher volume. That said, she still did a decent job filling the characters with life and differentiating between them.

The story jumps back and forth in time, which was a little confusing at first since I was tuning out some of it. But once it hooked my attention I followed it okay and appreciated the glimpses at the past as it related to the case in the present.

I was surprised by how long this went - it covered many more years than I anticipated and took a bit of an odd turn, I felt, towards the end. I started to lose interest again.

I think this is one I would have enjoyed more if I'd read it physically. The premise really interested me but the audio lost me early on, making it a little harder to commit to. But the mystery did eventually pull me in and I enjoyed listening along.

Historical fiction fans will no doubt take special delight in the arsenic angle, but on the whole this is still an interesting murder mystery tale.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment