Tuesday 30 July 2024

Review: The Mercy of Gods

The Mercy of Gods The Mercy of Gods by James S.A. Corey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

DAMN this was insane and made me feel things.

The plot sees Dafyd and his friends kidnapped by an alien race and transported to another world, where they're forced to prove themselves 'useful' or suffer the nasty consequences.

I don't want to talk too much about the plot, because I really enjoyed how completely unpredictable it was so I'd hate to spoil that for someone else. But, safe to say, this particular alien race is quite a nasty foe.

So much of how I felt reading this book relates to the contemplations of humanity, and how humans would feel and adapt to such situations. I think that's something Corey does well - they can plant the story in a completely foreign setting surrounded by completely foreign creatures and entities, and you still end up mulling over humanity with all of its strengths and weaknesses.

The characters portrayed those ideas brilliantly; even though I didn't like Dafyd at all, his behaviours made this story so much stronger. I loved reading the different reactions and thought processes, and while I sometimes didn't agree with what a character was doing or thinking, I easily understood it.

This story takes a lot of care to develop its characters, but its never dull. There's always action just around the corner, and it's hard to catch a breath before the next twist knocks you for six. As mentioned, I loved how wildly unpredictable it was.

Such a brilliant, fascinating read, that touched some very deep emotions within me. Easily one of my favourites this year, and I can't wait for the next installment!

With thanks to NetGalley for a digital ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment