Friday 8 June 2018

Review: Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The movie was better.

*gasp*

YES I SAID IT.

I freaking love the movie. They are all such complex characters and there's so much drama and it was just so beautifully done. It has a lot going on and the performances are so absorbing.

This autobiography, which inspired the film, has a lot less going on. It's always hard to criticise a memoir, and it was fascinating reading about these events first hand, but having seen the film first I found this to be rather uneventful in comparison.

The writing is fairly plain, and there's little colour to it. It felt very flat and monotonous to me. But I respect the author for telling her story, and I'm glad she did because I think it's so important that our media becomes saturated with mental illness stories so society can properly understand the scope and finally accept it accordingly.

So as an autobiography of one woman's mental illness journey, it's worth a read. But if you're looking for a story that matches the drama of the film, this is unlikely to meet expectations.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment