Sunday 17 June 2018

Review: Ten Days in a Mad-House

Ten Days in a Mad-House Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Absolutely compelling and horrific. I can't even imagine the response to this article at the time it was published! It's common knowledge these days that people were poorly treated in institutions, but to read this first hand account is absolutely chilling.

Nellie Bly faked insanity in order to expose the conditions of life within an asylum. She went into the project not expecting anything too troubling, but the simple ease with which she is committed is appalling, and an indication of the horrors to come.

Cruel treatment, inedible food, beatings and harsh conditions - the women of this institution were degraded in almost every way conceivable. Reading this account made me so furious at the way these women were treated, and it's utterly horrifying to comprehend that this is a tale of real events that happened to real women.

I think it's an important story to read, and I'd be interested to discover just how much Nellie's tale influenced changes to the treatment of those with mental illnesses. I am so pleased Nellie's era had such a strong woman to crusade on the behalf of these mistreated individuals.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment