Sunday 29 September 2019

Challenge Review: Mythos

My #dymocks52challenge book 23/38, for week 37.

Title: Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold
Author: Stephen Fry
Published: 2/11/17
First appearance in 101: 2018 (#84)
Years in 101: 2
2019 101 ranking: #98
Rating: 3 stars


Why I chose this book:
You might have guessed from the name of my blog that I have an interest in myths and legends, so when this book popped up on the Top 101 list it was an easy add. I'm absolutely fascinated by myths and was looking forward to reading about them from the very beginning.


Thoughts:
I love the stories themselves, but the delivery missed the mark with me. I've never been a big fan of British humour and with a subject so close to my heart it seemed a little crass. But I enjoyed the myths - particularly the lesser-known ones I'd not yet encountered - so it wasn't a total drag to read.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
The myths themselves, yes, but I'm sure there are better deliveries out there. I've yet to read Ovid's Metamorphoses (it's waiting eagerly on my bookshelf) but I suspect that will tell many of these stories in greater depth and with the traditional prose that one would expect for such old stories. This sassy retelling is a great introduction for the uninitiated, but doesn't quite do justice to the great legends of Greek mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment