Wednesday 25 September 2019

Review: Carrie

Carrie Carrie by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stephen King is one of my favourite authors because his work has a way of making you forget you are reading a story. You become immersed in it, seeing the scenes clearly (aided by memory if you've seen a film version) and feeling what the characters go through.

Carrie's story makes me feel such pity, and a strong hatred of bullying. It seems strange that the entire novel revolves around only two notable events - the bookends of the story - as it held me captivated the entire time.

Carrie's talent is unusual enough that it could have spawned all kinds of stories, but instead this book chooses to focus on the characters and how society acts in certain situations. And I think that is what makes this book so strong - it makes you think. It is not mindless action, it is the motivations that take the main focus. And it makes you question what you would do if you were in these positions. Ultimately, this book is about the darkness of human nature, and the supernatural stuff is just a bonus chill factor.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment