Sunday 29 September 2019

Review: Salvation

Salvation Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was actually so much fun!

I don't read a lot of sci-fi (my brain can't handle the science) but I was kinda keen for some alien mischief so this one found its way into my hands. WELL.

What I expected:
-Motley crew vaguely described and big enough to allow for characters to get eaten/shredded/sucked into space etc.
-Spaceships and malfunctioning space equipment
-Hostile aliens
-Strange planets
-General carnage and mayhem involving aliens picking off humans one by one

What I got:
-Motley crew introduced slowly and individually so I got to know each
-Spaceships and wormholes and portals and SO MUCH TECHNOLOGY my brain is still reeling
-Benign aliens with possible secret dark agenda
-Planets and comets and asteroids and moons and galaxies and ... humans living on all of it because that's how we roll
-General carnage and mayhem in the form of futuristic crime-solving

I mean this was a mixed bag that I entirely did not expect yet equally enjoyed immensely. There was chaos and crime and, yes, there was a lot of science that flew way over my head and descriptions that were so imaginative I couldn't quite get a grip on the visual, but this was a fantastic romp around the galaxy. It almost qualifies for the 'short stories' shelf, as each of the characters is given their own little story at a different time in their collective past. Interspersed with their current mission to investigate an alien spacecraft. PLUS there's the kids 500+ years in the future again who clearly know more than we do, but have their own future to think about.

IT WAS HECTIC.

Honestly I had so much fun with this, and am very much looking forward to the sequel which is a mercifully short wait away and hopefully contains even more carnage, mayhem and alien mischief.

Many thanks to Macmillan for providing me with a complimentary copy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment