Wednesday 2 October 2019

Review: American Royals

American Royals American Royals by Katharine McGee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Ahhh, drama.

I mean, I could definitely have used more - I liked all these characters too much - but it still hit the spot.

The setup: In an alternate world, Washington became the first king of America, and here we are in present day to witness the inner happenings of America's reigning royals. Mum and dad are regal and proud and of course thrusting ridiculous responsibilities on their first born, Beatrice, who will be America's first ever queen (hooray for abolishing sexism in the monarchy).

Meanwhile younger siblings, twins Sam and Jeff, have much less responsibility and go out of their way to have a good time. Jeff's ex-gf, Daphne, is also still hanging around, stirring up trouble.

The formula is there but it wasn't quite as dramatic as I wanted. I think everyone was so nice and understanding and it was all a bit flat. I wanted people yelling and screaming and gasping and fighting and throwing things and getting busted in compromising positions etc. but instead everyone kinda just cries a lot? The boys are all so lovely and understanding and yes of course I am in love with them all but would it have hurt to have at least one of them act a little bit like a jerk? There wasn't a lot of variety, because they're all upstanding gentlemen madly in love with their respective lady. *yawn*

Daphne is there to cause a bit of mischief but really, she was a bit light on. Amateur hour over here. I was curious about the story between her and Himari but could kinda predict it as well so it wasn't a big deal when the story came out. I'm very much looking forward to meeting Himari properly in the future, though.

I feel like this was really more setting up things for more drama in the future, so I'm pretty keen for the sequel. Ah, that awkward moment when you read a new release then have to hang out at least another six months for the sequel. *nervous laughter*

I liked it, it had petty teen drama like I wanted - though I wanted more rich kid drama - but it was a little underwhelming. I want some mad scandals in the sequel. I want Sam to show off her wild side and Connor to date a model and Beatrice to have multiple meaningless flings and Nina to get a girlfriend and Jeff to go on a crazy adventure and Daphne to start a company. I want parties and getaways and secret bungalows and haunted houses and rich, rich drama.

I mean my imagination is running wild with the potential of this series. I NEED MORE.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment