Sunday 20 October 2019

Review: The Institute

The Institute The Institute by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Who doesn't love when the King talks psychic abilities??

Maybe not the spine-tingling, goosebumps-raising horror I was expecting but thoroughly enjoyable all the same!

Setting the scene: Kid genius Luke goes from dreaming of college to waking up in an unfamiliar 'Institute' for 'gifted' kids. Turns out they don't even care that he's a genius at 12 - the people running the Institute only care that he occasionally flips empty pizza pans with his mind. He's in there with a bunch of other 'special' kids who have also been abducted, and what lies in store for them is not a good time.

I LOVED the setup, and the personalities of the different kids. If a sequel comes out featuring these badass youngsters, I AM THERE. Nicky of course with his attitude is a fave but also just the way they connect - they're all in it together and it makes them a solid unit. I liked that.

King seems more focused on the hands of fate here, and as the story unspools we understand there's a lot here about choices and consequences. On the surface, however, we get this neat little thriller about a bunch of talented kids stuck in a seemingly helpless situation.

I appreciated that these kids weren't Carrie-level gifted. There's nothing hugely special about any of them, except for the new addition, Avery, whose mind-reading ability is slightly stronger than most. No big.

'Great events turn on small hinges.'

There's a bit of a kids-vs-adults mentality, but it's cleverly countered with a helpful housekeeper and Tim, a former cop who finds himself mixed up in things incidentally. I think this was an important element, because when it comes down to it, these kids are still just kids. Plus the relationship between Tim and Luke reminds me a little bit of Roland and Jake and I will never not love the bond between those two. I think it was important to recognise that the kids were just ordinary kids, despite their abilities. This was well done.

Sadly some minor errors, with wrong names being used in a few places, but ultimately easy enough to overlook for another addictive ride from the King. It wasn't scary, so to speak, but there was still a cleverness to the thrills and certainly a few moments when I found myself holding my breath and just hoping things didn't go awry.

Maybe not his best work - a bit of a sprawl and less complex than some - but I enjoyed it all the same. There's room here to revisit some of the characters and expand on events, which gives me hope we will see more from this world.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment