Monday 7 October 2019

Challenge Review: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

My #dymocks52challenge book 24/38, for week 38. 


Title: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Author: Mark Manson
Published: 13/9/16
First appearance in 101: 2017 (#85)
Years in 101: 3
2019 101 ranking: #61
Rating: 4 stars


Why I chose this book:
I do quite enjoy self-help books that take a more philosophical approach, and this one's no-nonsense title did rather appeal to me. It's also appeared in the top 101 every year since its 2016 release, which clearly suggested more than a temporary fad.

Thoughts:
It's quite blunt in delivery and doesn't bother attempting to placate anyone so naturally this is going to rub some people the wrong way, but I quite enjoyed it. It requires an open mind, and the concepts are certainly nothing new, but it's accessible, easy to read and mercifully short. If you can manage not to take offence, you'll find some great nuggets of wisdom within the pages.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
I think so! The concepts are certainly important and I think more people could benefit from reading books with this attitude - that we need to consider more carefully the things we invest our time and care in. Its ideas aren't anything new but the bold title perhaps makes it easier to relate to and thus accessible to more readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment