Friday 13 November 2020

Review: Honeybee

Honeybee Honeybee by Craig Silvey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When this book released, I was firmly on the fence (see below for original thoughts).

I wasn't at all motivated to read it, but the positive reviews that started rolling in had me asking the GR community if it was worth taking a chance on.

They said yes.

They were right.

This is a beautiful story.

It's heart-warming and heartbreaking; it's hard and soft; it's funny and sad. There are so many elements to it - it's like articles of clothing coming together to create the perfect outfit. Everything works in harmony, even if some of those things are bad. They're an important part of the overall look.

The blurb gives us Sam and Vic, who meet at opposite ends of a bridge they're both planning to jump from. Wouldn't be much of a story if they got away with it, so instead we get to see their friendship blossom into something that allows them both to learn a little more about themselves, as well as each other. Along the way, we'll encounter friends, enemies, and everything in between.

I definitely went into this one quite sceptical, especially since the old-person-young-person friendship is starting to feel a little overdone to me, so it was a surprise when I became absorbed so quickly.

Me: Ehhh, I don't know if I want to read it. It's probably terrible.
Also me: *reads entire book in a day*


Sam's story just fascinated me so completely. I was wary of getting my heart broken because - let's be honest - it's a bit of a rough start. But then it gave me Aggie, and the The Boy Who Steals Houses vibes were so strong I felt instantly happier. It felt like, yes, we were probably in for some tough times, but everything would work out okay in the end. I'm certain Aggie must have some De Lainey blood in her.

It did end up feeling a little simplistic, which is why it didn't quite make the 5-stars for me. If I may elaborate: (view spoiler) It was a light story in spite of some of its darker moments, and while I'm glad it wasn't 400-odd pages of depressing, it did somehow leave me feeling a little off-balance. It has some humourous episodes, but because the tone is quite heavy they're tougher to laugh at.

All the same, it was a really heart-felt story that had me fully immersed in Sam's life.

It's a contemporary story that mulls over the importance of identity, family and self-acceptance. It's also, refreshingly, nothing like Jasper Jones. So that was a solid bonus for me.

Thank you to everyone who convinced me to read it. Now it's my turn to pass on the love.


***

Wow this is getting some amazing reviews!

Only I have two problems:

1. I didn't like Jasper Jones as much as everyone else (overrated)
2. I am someone who definitely judges books by their covers and I cannot support that mullet.

But maaaaaybe I'll be peer pressured into it. Maybe.

If you've read it, please feel free to leave your argument For or Against in the comments! Thanks!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment