Wednesday 4 November 2020

Review: The Saints of Salvation

The Saints of Salvation The Saints of Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Okay I followed maybe 75% of this but it was still 100% EPIC.

WARNING: This review contains spoilers for the previous two novels in the series.

HERE WE ARE AT THE END.

The Saints are tasked with infiltrating an Olyix ship and stowing away until they reach the enclave. The hope is that they'll be able to send out a signal so that future generations can send the cavalry. Of course, we're familiar with some members of that future generation - and they are going to need some serious firepower if they're going to succeed.

I've never been big on sci-fi, but this trilogy has completely turned that around. Even though the science is mostly completely beyond me, I've immensely enjoyed my time spent with Dellian, Yirella and the Saints. These are some cool cats making science fun again. I'm definitely keen to explore the genre further, thanks to this trilogy.

The stakes are super high for this grand finale, so the tension is way up. The plots are thickening and technology is advancing at a crazy rate. My head was properly spinning for most of it.

Yirella's always been the smart one, so it's fun watching her work her way through the problems in this book. Dellian is mostly just along for the ride, but he's still one tough cookie and he provides some interesting insights to mull over. But the Saints are still my favourite. They're such an interesting bunch and the dynamics between them are a lot of fun. I love grumpy old Yuri and sarcastic Alik; I love badass Kandara and sulky Callum; I love how Jessika does all the work and is still patient when the others constantly bug her about Neana things and she keeps explaining that she doesn't know. I love how much they get on each other's nerves and yet still work together as such a solid unit.

They're the most relatable unit in this whole series for me.

I can't talk too much about the story because I'm not kidding when I say a lot of it went over my head. *nervous laughter* But it was still just such a rocking good time and it still threw me some serious curve balls. I think the great part is that, even if you're not entirely following the science, you still pick up the essentials. It reiterates the important stuff and, while I mostly had no idea what anything looked like, I was able to follow along what was good, what was bad, and what was about to go down. And it was seriously about. to. go. DOWN.

The epic scale of this novel is exhilarating, and it just keeps building. It was a little trickier to get into because of the science, but by the end I was on the edge of my seat, anxious to discover how things would end.

The conclusion is satisfying, but there are still some loose threads which hopefully suggests we can look forward to more stories set in this world. I know that, if that's the case, I will definitely be strapping in for that ride, too. I'm committed to these guys for life, now.

With thanks to Mamillan for my ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment