Wednesday 4 November 2020

Review: The Mall

The Mall The Mall by S.L. Grey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

**Re-read 10/20**

This is honestly one of the most memorable horror stories I've ever read.

The story features Rhoda and Dan, brought together by circumstance, as they search for a way out of the mall but only find themselves getting further in. And the further they get into the mall, the more bizarre things become ...

Firstly, it begins in the service corridors behind the scenes, so if you are someone who has worked in a shopping centre and know these blank, cold, concrete corridors well, you will have a better idea of how creepy this story is. You really do feel like you could get lost and be stuck down there forever. The first time I read this book, I had to do a late night close at the centre I worked, and when I came out all the familiar exits were blocked off and most of the lights were out and it was dark and creepy and I wanted to run screaming down the empty corridors. So this book picked a good subject to feature a horror story around.

It layers in the weird stuff really well, although I was prepared for it this time so it was more enjoyable. It does drift into the bizarre so you have to take things at face value, even though you still spend most of the book asking yourself if this pair is delusional. I think that is a huge part of the appeal - constantly wondering what the heck is actually happening.

The other part of the appeal is being equally horrified yet curious of the 'Downside'. I love the concept of it and it's really interesting to think about all the things this book doesn't tell us. For that reason, I'm looking forward to re-reading the sequel - which I accidentally read first last time. It's hard to say much more without spoiling the experience, but safe to say this is a series that firmly lodged itself in my mind.

This book takes the classic elements of shopping at the mall and twists it into a tense, bizarre thriller that will have you seeing shopping in a different light. It won't be for everyone, but if you're open to things getting weird, this one will give you plenty to think about and add a little creepiness to your next shopping trip.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment