Monday 28 June 2021

Review: Twilight: Doors X

Twilight: Doors X Twilight: Doors X by Markus Heitz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a solid 4 mysterious stars until the ending when everything was still a mystery and I was left feeling very, very confused.

It's a unique setup over the course of several books, but without knowing that this would probably be less confusing.

Plot: There's a rich man's daughter lost in an unusual system of caves, with doors that lead to strange places. A unique team of experts from different fields is sent in to find her.

The first 95 pages assembles the team and sends them into the caves until they end up in front of a bunch of doors, and this first 95 pages is identical in subsequent books in the series. What changes is the door they choose, leading to alternate stories.

Knowing this, I wasn't quite sure how it would play out, but I assumed something like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' story spread across a series instead of just one book. It's an interesting concept, but personally I feel it didn't quite deliver.

The story is certainly mysterious - everyone has secrets, and the caves with the doors are quite fascinating. There's no telling where everyone is going to end up, and I rather liked that.

However, the delivery was messy and jumped around all over the place. The idea is that each book takes us through a different door, but that's not quite how it worked out in this one. Hopefully the second book is a little more clear cut.

I really like the idea of it, and it's quite fantastical, but it fell short in the end. There was too much confusion, and while I liked all the secrets and different personalities of the team members, even they never really came together enough for me to appreciate their individual roles.

Super curious about the second one, though, so I wonder how it will change my thoughts on this one!

View all my reviews

2 comments: