Monday 28 June 2021

Review: Shelter for the Damned

Shelter for the Damned Shelter for the Damned by Mike Thorn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

DNF @ 62%

I'm finally deciding to part ways with this book.

I really wanted to get through it, as I received a copy from the author in exchange for a review.

However it's just really dragging for me and becoming such a chore to read so I'm finishing up just past the halfway mark.

The story follows delinquent Mark, who is always getting into trouble. He's a troubled boy, so when he finds a shack in the middle of nowhere that seems to call to him, he finds it hard to stay away. But evil is at work, here, and things are not going to end well for Mark and his friends ...

It's actually not a bad story. The writing is pretty decent and invocative and the characters are fleshed out well. I just found it all terribly slow and dull, and there was more about Mark's personal problems than anything particularly spooky so I just got a bit bored by it all. By the time things started getting a bit creepy, I was skimming too much to be properly affected by it.

I fully admit that I'm notoriously terrible with e-books, though, so the format definitely affected how slowly I read it, and reading it over a longer period of time may have likely influenced how drawn out the story felt.

It's probably worth a go to most horror lovers, as it seemed a unique concept to me. However be prepared for a slow build up to the horror.

With thanks to the author for a copy

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment