Saturday 2 October 2021

Review: She is Haunted

She is Haunted She is Haunted by Paige Clark
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So I finished this and I'm pretty sure I didn't understand any of it but I still kinda liked it? *shrugs*

Some of the stories are straight up bizarre and seem to be pointless, but others had me really sucked in and feeling real things. Pretty much all of them end awkwardly, though, so be prepared to work out all the meanings yourself.

I liked that some were long while others were nice and short. There was almost a dystopian element to some of the tales, but overall it had a very contemporary feel. The stories are about people and relationships, rather than any logical kind of action, so I think once you get used to that it's easier to appreciate.

Still, I do really loathe that 'literary fiction' usually means 'totally vague and nonsensical'.

I definitely liked some stories more than others, and some had me really scratching my head wondering what the heck I was supposed to take from it, but in the end I somehow managed to enjoy the randomness of it all.

It won't be for everyone, but for those who think themselves clever for untangling symbolism and hidden meanings, this will be a treat.

With thanks to A&U for a copy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment