Tuesday 25 July 2023

Review: Big Beautiful Female Theory

Big Beautiful Female Theory Big Beautiful Female Theory by Eloise Grills
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's going to be difficult to put into words how greatly this affected me and why, but I'll do my best!

This is part poetry, part comic, part picture book ... but mostly 'word-blurt'. Just a random assortment of words thrown together and labelled as art.

Now, normally that's the kind of 'literary' work that does my head in completely and frustrates me to tears but somehow there was such a profound meaning to these thrown together words that I suspect maybe they were thrown together with intentional exactness. A logic to the nonsense that hid so cleverly I felt it more deeply once I understood. This was, in my humble opinion, actually art.

Accompanied by an assault of naked portraits from a self-proclaimed fat woman this should have greatly offended me and yet I absolutely delighted in the raw honesty of it all. I adored this brutal self-reflection that almost brought me to tears. I languished over the words and enjoyed teasing out the meaning. And the meaning I was able to draw from these words and images made such an impact on me that I spent almost the entirety wanting to hug this woman or high five her or just nod and say, 'I understand.'

This is absolutely not what I was expecting from this book and I'm thrilled by it. More than a 'feminist manifesto', this spoke to me most because of the accounting of a fat woman. For the detailed experiences caused by a woman's body and society's negative connotations with the idea of 'fat'. SO MANY of the experiences she details are ones I've experienced myself and for that alone I was moved. I felt so much compassion, yet was somehow also inspired. Something about the way she relates her experiences speaks to me of a willingness to heal; a secret positivity that lurks behind even the most self-deprecating words.

With the personal reflections, an accompaniment of women and feminism from many angles - many of which I had to Google. I actually learned a lot reading this, and I enjoyed the delivery immensely. It scratched the surface of an awareness I've only recently felt springing to life so I enjoyed chasing all the leads and learning more about these other women and their stories.

Raw, brutal and utterly captivating.

It shouldn't have worked for me, but it absolutely won me over wholeheartedly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment