Wednesday 18 September 2019

Challenge Review: All the Bright Places

My #dymocks52challenge book 22/38, for week 36.
.
Title: All The Bright Places
Author: Jennifer Niven
Published: 6/1/15
First appearance in 101: 2016 (#72)
Years in 101: 3
2019 101 ranking: -
Rating: 2 stars


Why I chose this book:
This has made three of the last five years of 101 lists, so it nudged out some of the more recent entries, though it didn't make this year's list. This was one I wasn't sure I really wanted to read, but figured it would be easy to get through.

Thoughts:

Ah, more tragic heroes being praised by readers. I can appreciate that this was a powerful glimpse into teenage mental illness (stay away if you're triggered easily) but overall it seemed a little too contrived for me, and I wasn't particularly attached to the two leads. 

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?

Maybe? I mean, to me it was trying too hard to be a John Green book, but this might be a valuable insight for people who have no idea what it's like to experience mental illness, either directly or through a family member/close friend. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, because if it helps ease some of the stigma surrounding mental illness then I'm all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment