Friday 2 October 2020

Review: The Kingdom of Copper

The Kingdom of Copper The Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

WARNING: This review may contain spoilers for the first book in the series.

Pros:
- Nahri being a badass
- Dara being a badass
- Muntadhir being unexpectedly sweet
- Ali being an idiot

Cons:
- Ghassan being a jerk
- Dara being a jerk
- Muntadhir being a jerk
- Ali being an idiot

Also there was so much more hatred and pain and death and scheming characters and my heart just couldn't. handle. it.

The pace is a little uneven compared to The City of Brass so I was worried from the slower start that I might not like it as much. But once Ali and Nahri were reunited, I was happy again. It's very dynamic and by the end it devolves into absolute chaos which was a lot of fun but also nearly stopped my heart from fear and pain. So ... yay?

The politics still confuse me, as well as who is in what tribe and who has what magic and why things are scandalous etc. so that got a bit frustrating, but there is a glossary and cast of characters at the back which helps a little.

There was not nearly enough Dara for my liking, but I like how powerful he is. I did NOT like him being M's lapdog, though. I just did not like her one bit at all. Dara belongs with Nahri and if you disagree with me on this I will fight you.

I also liked Ali's new friends. They seem nice.

The whole persecution of the shafit really made me sad, and I got so frustrated at how people were just constantly jerks to others. It's part of why I love Ali so much, even if he's an idealistic idiot sometimes. He's just so honest and raw and there's no faking from him. He's such a pure soul.

I really love this world, but DAMN does it have some issues.

Very much looking forward to the next (and final, I believe) book in the series where hopefully everyone will sort their sh*t out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment